Sunday, February 24, 2013

Not Your Typical Friday Night

Well I should have known the night was going to be a little bizarre when I left the house and got in my car but the car wouldn't start! Hmmm, that's not convenient! Luckily Alex could sneak away from work and get me there with the help from his friend Joel. After I got to the Med Center I realized that I had a 1:1 patient (which is never a good sign). See a 1:1 patient can only mean one thing....Restraints. Which means documenting every 15 minutes and usually the patients have a very good reason for being in restraints. My patient happened to be detoxing from Meth. He was bi-polar, alcoholic, and very violent. Thank goodness his arms and legs were locked down but it sure was a sad sight to see. As he was spitting and yelling profanities at me I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for him. What a horrible drug and what a horrible life. Of course he did not believe anyone in the hospital was helping him at all and with every other word from his mouth being a not so nice 4 letter word, I took a big breath and go ready for the remainder of my shift. It was a night of many firsts. First time I witnessed a grown man throw his own feces at someone, first time I had to call on security several times and first time I was a little scared for my life at my job. But with only a little over an hour left in my shift I'm so glad it's almost over! He did say something unusual to me amongst the swearing and spitting. It was "You aren't a Christian!" which was a surprising choice of words for him. None the less I still took the opportunity to tell him that I was indeed a Christian and that I would be praying for him. Because what else was there to do. I showed him kindness and did my best to keep him calm throughout my shift and that is just the best I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin